Wednesday, January 22, 2014

European Lavabo

This blog is moving,  same blog new location!

www.Antiquelifestyleblog.com

Do you like early 19th-century antiques? I’m a huge fan!  Come to find out I’m not alone!  The elegant basin seen below is a French lavabo.  These European beauties made of heavy cast iron,  are highly sought after.  They once hung in Roman Catholic churches for the ceremonial rinsing of the hands. This lavabo was styled and photographed by Melinda Reyes.  She has a lovely blog,  I just love her style.   She choose to style her lavabo with old books and soft linens,  rustic elements. Absolutely Stunning, isn’t it?  Each of these basins have their own identity, and different look to them.

This is how the lavabo looks inside.  There is a small cluster of holes that allow the water to drain out.

Here is another one with vibrant purple flowers,  used outside.  The possibilities are endless with these old basins.  For example,  you could repurpose into a charming fountain,  perhaps using a vintage spigot as your water source up top. I’ve also seen them hung on bathroom wall,  filled with white towels.

SALE   100.00 off Antique french courtyard wall sink garden wall fountain  cast iron wall sink french wall sink lavabo

What’s old reeeally can become new again.

There is a certain charm to this 19th century antique lavabo.  I purchased this one at the Rose Bowl while out on one of my antique hunting mornings.  I like the white chippy weathered paint and heavy iron look.  I love to style using unexpected elements,  I wrapped an antler around the front of the basin,  so that it looks as if its growing from behind. Then clustered three large pillar candles of different heights inside. Finished it off with “my fav” dried pussy willow. You like???

lava 010

This one is available in my Etsy shop,  What is your vision for this charming old French antique???

Please follow me at my new location www.Antiquelifestyleblog.com

signiture

6 comments:

  1. Hi Laurie, I hope you are doing well. Love the lavabo and it looks wonderful with the antler and candles. I tried to go to http://antiquelifestyle.blog.com several times but it says this url does not exist.
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sherry
    Thanks so much for letting me know, I just fixed it! Try now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laurie,
    Thank you so much for featuring me on your beautiful blog!!! I love your antique lavabo and how you displayed it with the candles and the antlers, what a fantastic idea!!! And the Rose Bowl is one of my favorite fleas!
    Excited to be following along with your lovely blog.
    Thank you again and have a wonderful day!
    Sincerely,
    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love your photos. The one with the candles is just beautiful! I like seeing creative work. Since I started creating digital landscapes for a new unique comic about esteem and kindness I live creativity every day. It changed my life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you beautiful for taking time to visit me, and Laurie you are such a sweet friend, your words warm my heart.
    I always love what you create, and as for painting you never needed my help! You passion in what you create.

    Lots of love to you this beautiful February.

    Xoxoxo
    Doré

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by Bella Inspirations! I love reading your comments,thank you for taking the time to leave one!

Sincerely,
Laurie Blaswich