Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Eclectic Anyone???

Have you visited the Etsy Decor Blog? It’s da bomb . . . I hope you enjoy this interview blog post below. . . .

This week is inspired by the incredible Los Angeles apartment designed by Jared Frank and Sam Jacober, the stylists, interior designers and art directors behind Topsy Design and the Etsy vintage shop of the same name.

The Mediterranean-style apartment complex was built in 1929 and was once called home by James Dean and Rock Hudson. Since this Silver Lake apartment is fully furnished, Jared uses the guest room as bait to lure East Coast friends to the Left Coast.

Get the Look Decor: Antique Eclectic

Photo by TopsyDesign

Describe your home decorating style.
Antique eclectic. Buying vintage is both a moral and aesthetic choice. We waste enough in this society; home is the one place you can control, so living in a more sustainable way is very important to me. However, this isn’t health food, it’s real food: vintage and antique objects made before the industrialization of home furnishings were constructed so much better than the contemporary alternatives. The organic materials of wood and metal last and can take damage without looking worse for wear. Old objects tell a story, and I love surrounding myself with things that have depth. I often think about my furniture’s past lives.

That said, the last thing I’m interested in is living in a home that’s like a museum dedicated to a particular period. I like to mix styles from different eras. When you do this, you find that pieces have underlying philosophies that make them go well together. In the kitchen nook, I have an Arts and Crafts chair for my military field table. Even though their makers’ backgrounds differ enormously, they were both intended to function with utilitarian simplicity and constructed from materials designed to last.


Did you decide to decorate in this style or was there an evolution to your decorating process?
There has definitely been an evolution to my decorating process. I used to be primarily attracted to simple, masculine objects, but over time I grew bored. I became inspired by nature, and my female partner Sam encouraged me to open up my personal style and bring in feminine, delicate, curvaceous, ornate objects. In the study there is a metal table with a Victorian wicker chair in front of it. I love how the curvy lines of the chair play against the hard ninety-degree angles of the table.

 

Where are your favorite places to shop for home items?
My favorite places to shop are the flea markets of Los Angeles; the big ones are Long Beach, Rosebowl, and PCC. However, these experiences can be overwhelming for the uninitiated, and it takes a trained eye to make off with the good stuff at the right price. I work as an interior decorator and personal shopper for those seeking vintage and antique pieces for their home.

What inspires you when it comes to decorating?
I am most inspired by the needs of the rooms and my lifestyle. It should be possible to both work and chill in every room of the house. I never want friends to come over and not know where to sit. I want my life to flow seamlessly from contemplation, to production, to play.

What is your favorite part about your home?
The southern-style deck that overlooks Sunset Drive. If Sunset was a river and not a street, I’d stay in this apartment forever.

Does your home hold any strong memories?
The strongest memories this home holds are those I share with my business partner, Sam. We moved here and decorated the home together. We’ve recently parted ways, but we still work together. This home still holds our love and our history. If it wasn’t for her, it wouldn’t look the way it does, and it’s a constant reminder of our enduring relationship.

 

Have a beautiful week everyone, I am thankful for you.

  • sig2

    For design inquiries, write to Laurie at me-n-you@verizon.net

  • 4 comments:

    1. Hi Laurie,
      Love the bo-ho chic-ness to the shop!

      That first photo with that steal industrial cabinet is to totally love, I so wish I could score a big find on one for myself :)

      Thank you for your beautiful visit sweet friend !!

      I will see you soon
      xoxo
      Dore

      ReplyDelete
    2. I wont ask for anything more. This is would be the final and the best of the rest.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Hi Laurie
      Love this apartment.. perhaps not all my style [not that I have one] but I think that is what I like about it... the freedom to pick and choose whatever takes one's fancy and it won't look out of place with the existing environment..

      That balcony is calling my name and I agree if it had a view of a river or beachfront it would be the perfect chill place..

      Wonderful interview.. thanks for popping in my way and apologies for my tardy visits... Have a great weekend.. ciao Julie

      ReplyDelete

    Thank you for stopping by Bella Inspirations! I love reading your comments,thank you for taking the time to leave one!

    Sincerely,
    Laurie Blaswich