Friday, July 8, 2011

How would you decorate 12”of space?

Since I purchased my new Cannon power shot, I’ve been busy taking a lot of photos all over the house. Yikes, I got a real good look at what a mess was going on above my kitchen cabinets. Everybody likes to merchandise their counter tops,  but when it comes to decorating above their kitchen cabinets,  well . . .

(Above kitchen cabinets before)

via aurora kitchen before 013

  Our kitchen had twelve inches of  neglected space above the kitchen cabinets.  I recently did a little tweaking,  and here’s what I came up with on a limited budget. The twelve inches became quite challenging,  most accessories are a bit taller. Soooo this is where the element of scale comes in. I found shorter items that were just too itsy.  The challenge was to find larger scale items under twelve inches.

above kitchen cabnets 002

I had envisioned a soft neutral scheme. The natural element from the curly willow softens the strong hard edges of the cabinets. I used an iron bird cage and a beautiful  scroll design decorative piece in the area above the stove.  The soft patina green in the decorative piece brings out the greenish tones in the wall color.

above kitchen cabnets 005

I found a rectangular shaped frame and covered it with stenciled burlap fabric.

above kitchen cabnets 004

above kitchen cabnets 006

I had an old rectangular metal box around. I wrapped the rim with a natural beaded garland for texture. This also works well on a round basket.

above kitchen cabnets 010

(Above kitchen cabinets after)

above kitchen cabnets 003

I think I’ve really enhanced that twelve inches of wasted space. I love the way it elevates our tumbled travertine backsplash, too!

sig2

 

7 comments:

  1. Hi Laurie, I have the same 12" above my cabinets and everything I try is too tall. You found a great solution and it looks wonderful. I hope you are having a fabulous summer.
    xo,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great vignettes. They look wonderful. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, utilizing some of those new API s, with the economy still sluggish and unemployment rising, it became important for me to get in after sexcam about
    four or five hours of hunting for bargains.

    my homepage sexchat

    ReplyDelete
  4. If some one wishes expert view on the topic of blogging and site-building then i recommend him/her to
    pay a quick visit this website, Keep up the pleasant job.

    Stop by my website ... my latest blog post

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was recommended this blog by my cousin. I'm not sure whether this post is written by him as no one else know such detailed about my difficulty. You're amazing!

    Thanks!

    My web blog: sizegenetics coupon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Und nicht nur Teens zeigen sich da von ihrer geilsten
    Seite. Rund um die Uhr 24 Stunden steht unser Erotikportal mit diesen Websexcams dir zu
    Verfügung. Ohne Tabus, ohne Zensur und ohne Altersüberprüfung.


    Here is my site :: live-strip-girl.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you want further information about fleshlight orifices, inserts,
    tips, and more. Thus, you will need to look could be the availability and travelling open to achieve the
    abortion hospital.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by Bella Inspirations! I love reading your comments,thank you for taking the time to leave one!

Sincerely,
Laurie Blaswich