Friday, March 4, 2011

Got Caulk ?

Because of the large size of this built-in unit,   Robert decided to built it outdoors. When the time finally came to bring it inside,  it was so massive,  we asked a few of our friends and family to help out.  When my Dad , husband and neighbor lifted it into place, Yep . . .  you guessed it, it didn’t fit. The top of the niche was 1/2” wider from the bottom. Oh did I mention the unit was extremely heavy, 300 lbs or so. Needless to say my husband was  not a happy camper.

As the built-in progress we have had to make a few changes to our original design. I’m sure all you do-it –yourselfers can relate. Robert knew I was really wanting the look of floating shelves,  and since neither of us knew how to build them. lol   He took a stab at it.

  Crank up the blow by blow…

 

Let’s see, Sunday was our 10th trip to Home Depot since our project started. Needless to say his patience is running at an all time low. “ I’m so sick of this project.  If one more thing goes wrong I’m going to throw a grenade at it.”  “ Come on honey! You can do it!”

( Built-in before moldings and trims)

office niche 002 

Shelves before molding and my sweet hubby filing for separation papers, lol

office niche 001

My parents dropped by today to see how the built in was looking. They expressed their loving complements and support. Then they inquired  “ Who is going to paint the new built in?”  Much to my surprise my better half spoke music to my ears, “ I am.”

 

 

office after mouldings 007 

 

office after mouldings 009

 

office after mouldings 010

 

Our built-in is shaping up, the crown molding and medallions are now installed.  I’ve already started gathering some wonderful items to merchandise the shelves with.

office after mouldings 006

Next we will caulk around all the joints. I’m so glad my master finish carpenter hubby knew about caulking the built-in. Because I didn’t have a clue.

office after mouldings 005

 

What’s a home project without a bit of good drama? lol

xoxo

 

Do you have a vision of how you would like your home to look?

Do you need help putting it in motion?

For design inquires email me-n-you@verizon.net

2 comments:

  1. Loving following the progress of this project. Keep up the good work!!

    oxox
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laurie,
    Whle I thought the Barr kitchen looked pretty darn good before, I can now see your vision was perfect. The contrast of the dark island as well as the overhead light fixture really changed the whole look. Congrats! Beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by Bella Inspirations! I love reading your comments,thank you for taking the time to leave one!

Sincerely,
Laurie Blaswich